Promoting Childrens Literacy
The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award
Each spring Vermont's Department of Libraries selects 30 books to appeal to young readers in 4th through 8th grade. Known as the DCF list since 1957, it's named for Dorothy Canfield Fisher, a venerable Arlington, VT writer. Young readers are encouraged to sample the books on the list, and when they have read at least five, to vote for their favorite. Check out the 2011-12 winner Smile by Raina Telgemeier, and see what kids said about why they're inspired to read and write.
- Smile by Raina Telgemeier
- Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
- Belly Up by Stuart Gibbs
- Dark Life by Kat Falls
- The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger
- The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
- Half Brother by Kenneth Oppel
- Heat by Mike Lupica
- Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
- After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick
Vermont PBS educates, informs, entertains and inspires Vermonters to be lifelong learners and engaged in their community.